Welcome to Albert's Sermon Illustrations

In this blog, I have collected many stories, quotes, jokes and ideas that I use regularly in my sermons.I have tried to put in the sources and origins of these illustrations. If I have missed some or gotten the wrong sources, please let me know. I will update them. Feel free to use these illustrations for the glory of God. If you have some illustrations that you like to contribute, kindly add them to my blog, so that I and others may benefit from them. God bless!
Reverend Albert Kang

P/S: This is a free site and thus it has advertisements that are not in the blogger's control. If some of them are offensive, please ignore them. Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Would You Swap Places With This Rich Guy?


A young man named Steve Walker walked into Zig Ziglar's office years ago. A friend of his had flown him down from Toronto because he wanted Steve to see Zig. He thought Steve needed a change.

Turns out Steve left for work at six in the morning, and he got home every night between ten and eleven. That was six days a week. On Sundays he was so exhausted he slept all day.


He had no family life. He was so tired he had run off the road two or three times driving back and forth the 20 or 30 miles he had to go to his job. His wife was threatening to divorce him. Everything in this guy's life was falling apart - the whole nine yards.


Steve's friend had forewarned Zig of all this, and when Zig met with Steve, he discovered his boss was the person he looked up to the most.


"Why is that?" Zig asked him.


"Most successful man I've ever seen."


"Okay,” Zig said, "let's look at your boss. Here's what I want you to do. I want you to give your boss a plus or a minus grade on all the questions I'm going to ask you."


"Okay."


He asked, "Steve, how happy is your boss?"


Steve thought a minute. "I never really thought about it until now, but I don't think he's happy at all."


"Well, we'll give him a minus on that, right?"


"Yeah, I guess."


"Why do you say you don't think he's happy?"


"Well, uh, number one, I've never heard him laugh. He seldom smiles, and besides that he has ulcers."


"Well, let's see now, that tells me something about his health. Do we give him a plus or minus on that?"


"Oh, that looks like a minus."


Zig said, "If he's got ulcers, that tells me something about his peace of mind. Do we give him a plus or a minus?"


"I'd say another minus."


"Okay," Zig continued. "How prosperous is your boss?"


He said, "Man, he's got money running out of his ears. That's why he's my role model."


"I guess we give him a big old plus on that one."


"Absolutely!" said Steve.


Zig said, "How secure is he?"


"Well, he's as secure as money can make you."


"We had some billionaire brothers here in Dallas who went bankrupt. How does your boss compare?"


"He doesn't have that kind of money."


"We had an industrialist here who was worth half a billion. Does he have that kind of money?"


"No way."


"We had another one, a former governor worth a hundred million at one time. He's bankrupt. How does your boss compare?"


Steve said, "Oh, man, he doesn't have that kind of money."


"Well, I don't want to give him a plus, I don't want to give him a minus. What about a question mark? Would that be fair?"


"I never thought I would say this," he said, "but that would be more than fair."


"How many friends does your boss have?"


Steve pondered for a moment. "Really, I don't think he has any. I'm not his friend; I just admire him because he's so successful. To tell you the truth, the guy's somewhat of a jerk."


"Well, we're sure going to give him a minus on that, aren't we?"


He sighed, "Once again, yes."


Zig said, "Tell me about his family."


"Well, his wife's divorcing him."


"Then we have to give him a minus for that."


"Yes we do. I can't believe it! He's getting a minus on everything."


"How much hope does he have for the future?"


"Well, before I started talking to you, I thought he had lots. But now I don't think he has any real hope."


"Well," Zig said, "another minus."


"Yep."


"Steve, let me ask you a question. Of the eight things everybody wants, your boss gets a minus on six, a plus on one, and a question mark on one. Knowing what you know,
would you swap places with him?"

No comments:

Post a Comment