Welcome to Albert's Sermon Illustrations

In this blog, I have collected many stories, quotes, jokes and ideas that I use regularly in my sermons.I have tried to put in the sources and origins of these illustrations. If I have missed some or gotten the wrong sources, please let me know. I will update them. Feel free to use these illustrations for the glory of God. If you have some illustrations that you like to contribute, kindly add them to my blog, so that I and others may benefit from them. God bless!
Reverend Albert Kang

P/S: This is a free site and thus it has advertisements that are not in the blogger's control. If some of them are offensive, please ignore them. Thank you for your understanding.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Not a Good Luck Charm

George Foreman, the former heavyweight boxing champion writes in his book "God in My Corner":

In 1974, before I went to Africa to fight Muhammad Ali, a friend gave me a Bible to take along on my trip. He said, “George, keep this with you for good luck.” I believed the Bible was just a shepherd’s handbook, probably because the only verse I knew was “the Lord is my shepherd.” But I was always looking for luck, so I carried that Bible with me. I had lucky pennies and good luck charms, so now I added the “lucky” Bible to my collection of superstitious items.

After I lost the fight, I threw the Bible away. I never even opened it. I thought, The Bible didn’t help me win, so why do I need it? I thought I’d get power simply from owning it; I didn’t realize that I needed to read it and believe what it says.  Since then, I’ve come to understand that the Bible is my road map, not my good luck charm. 

(George Foreman, God in My Corner, Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2007, p.91)

No comments:

Post a Comment